Skip to main content

"Help me see the good in all things" by Laura-Jane Corkran

The Reading
 
Psalm 19:1-4
 
The heavens are telling the glory of God;
   and the firmament proclaims his handiwork.
Day to day pours forth speech,
   and night to night declares knowledge.
There is no speech, nor are there words;
   their voice is not heard;
yet their voice goes out through all the earth,
   and their words to the end of the world.  


The Reflection by Laura-Jane Corkran
 
During my morning prayers, I often use a prayer by Phillip Brooks that’s found on one of the inside covers from Forward Day By Day. Over the past 11 months, as I’ve adjusted to working from home, masks, and social distancing, one line in particular has really held my focus, and I find myself repeating it over and over again throughout the day. It’s become almost a mantra: Open wide the eyes of my soul that I may see good in all things. Juggling a full time job and being the primary caregiver for my mother can be challenging when the sun is shining and we’re not all trying to compensate for the restrictions we’re finding during COVID-days. This morning I woke up to a gray sky and about a quarter inch of ice on the patio with a forecast predicting more of the same. There have been so many storms over the past week that I have lost count. What number is this? “The heavens are telling the glory of God; and the firmament proclaims his handiwork.” (Psalm 19:1, NRSV) It is surely glorious. The ice sparkles. Help me to see good in all things. We’re snug and warm and together we’re prepared for whatever comes next. This Lenten season, during COVID-days, let’s gather together in safe ways, and prepare together for what comes next.
____
Laura-Jane serves on our Vestry. She is the liaison to the Missions & Outreach Ministry Team.