Skip to main content

"Being a better student of the Way" by Laura Lafayette

The Reading

Psalm 25:3–10

Ad te, Domine, levavi

   Show me your ways, O Lord,
and teach me your paths.

  Lead me in your truth and teach me,
for you are the God of my salvation;
in you have I trusted all the day long.

Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love,
for they are from everlasting.

   Remember not the sins of my youth and my transgressions;
remember me according to your love
and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.

  Gracious and upright is the Lord;
therefore he teaches sinners in his way.

   He guides the humble in doing right
and teaches his way to the lowly.

   All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness
to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.

For your Name’s sake, O Lord,
forgive my sin, for it is great.

 

 Reflection by Laura Lafayette

In reflecting upon today’s psalm, what struck me was how often the writer implores God to teach.  The word “teach” is used four times over eight verses.  The psalmist also asks God to show, lead, and guide.  So what is the content of the instruction, what is God’s way?  Mercy, grace, compassion, forgiveness and love that is everlasting.  The ultimate demonstration of God’s way of love is the cross, the ultimate validation three days hence.

In this season of Lent, I’m praying to be a better student of the way—act with mercy not malice, offer gracious words not flippant retorts, and because of the power of the cross and the stone rolled away, seek to love others in all things.