Skip to main content

"Wait with confidence" by Susan Young

The Collect

Lord Christ, our eternal Redeemer, grant us such fellowship in your sufferings, that, filled with your Holy Spirit, we may subdue the flesh to the spirit, and the spirit to you, and at the last attain to the glory of your resurrection; who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.  Amen.

The Reading

Psalm 130

De profundis

Out of the depths have I called to you, O  Lord;
Lord, hear my voice;
let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.

If you,  Lord, were to note what is done amiss,
O Lord, who could stand?

For there is forgiveness with you;
therefore you shall be feared.

I wait for the  Lord; my soul waits for him;
in his word is my hope.

My soul waits for the  Lord,
more than watchmen for the morning,
more than watchmen for the morning.

O Israel, wait for the  Lord,
for with the  Lord there is mercy;

With him there is plenteous redemption,
and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins. 


Reflection by Susan Young

I love the honesty and openness with which the Psalmist comes to God, and the encouragement that the Psalms give us to do the same. Psalm 130 encourages us to give our full self (weaknesses, questions and all) to God and to place our trust and hope in Him in all circumstances. 

God is the source of our hope and our redemption, and He invites us to come to and wait for Him with confidence in His mercy and love.

As you reflect on God's merciful love, enjoy listening to Psalm 130 by the Sons of Korah: