Skip to main content

"No matter what" by Sara Vale

The Collect

O God, you so loved the world that you gave your only- begotten Son to reconcile earth with heaven: Grant that we, loving you above all things, may love our friends in you, and our enemies for your sake; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

The Reading

Psalm 31:9-16

Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am in distress;
   my eye wastes away from grief,
   my soul and body also.
For my life is spent with sorrow,
   and my years with sighing;
my strength fails because of my misery,
   and my bones waste away.

I am the scorn of all my adversaries,
   a horror to my neighbours,
an object of dread to my acquaintances;
   those who see me in the street flee from me.
I have passed out of mind like one who is dead;
   I have become like a broken vessel.
For I hear the whispering of many—
   terror all around!—
as they scheme together against me,
   as they plot to take my life.

But I trust in you, O Lord;
   I say, ‘You are my God.’
My times are in your hand;
   deliver me from the hand of my enemies and persecutors.
Let your face shine upon your servant;
   save me in your steadfast love. 

Reflection by Sara Vale

Today’s Psalm is one of the Psalms of Lament. These psalms express intense emotions and real struggles. In Psalm 31 David is in agony and despair so he lays out his troubles before the Lord.

Perhaps we can relate to these cries of sorrow. In these times of pandemic and political division we are facing challenges every day. The cumulative effect can become overwhelming. What do we do with feelings of frustration and hopelessness? Do we become more depressed, anxious, or angry? Do we lose sight of God’s promises because we are so exhausted with the status quos each day?

Lenten readings and messages remind us time and again all is not lost. We know, as Christians, how this life we live here on earth will end. We know this is not our true home. What we can choose to do is what David says in this Psalm:

“I have trusted in you, O Lord. I have said, ‘You are my God.’” (faith and trust)

“My times are in your hands,” (surrender)

“Make your face to shine upon your servant and in your loving kindness save me.” (a plea for mercy and knowledge that God can and will save us)

God shows up every moment – every breath we take. All He asks is a humble spirit, a contrite heart and a willingness to follow Him. May your Lenten journey be filled with moments of grace, peace, gratitude and love to the One who never leaves us – no matter what.

Let the song below remind you of the infinite love between you and your Creator.

-Sara Vale